Yesterday, in what may be the company's largest update ever, Apple released coordinated, major updates for almost all of its operating system and application software. Apple also launched its iCloud service, for use with Mac OS X, Windows, and iOS devices. However, the updates are not just for iCloud compatibility, but add major features and important bug fixes as well as security updates.
The magnitude of the update is reflected in the fact that Apple yesterday also posted over 100 new and updated technical articles about Lion, Lion Server, iOS, iPhone, iPad, iCloud, and Apple applications. More were being posted on Thursday.
Yesterday's updates from Apple include the following, all of which are free:
- iCloud, Apple's online service to connect everything (see separate story)
- Lion 10.7.2 includes a host of bug fixes, including several related to networking. This update is rumored to fix Active Directory problems we've been reporting. (See separate story on the Lion 10.7.2 update.)
- Lion Recovery Update, an update to the software that lets you boot Lion from an invisible Recovery Partition.
- Lion Server 10.7.2 and Server Admin Tools 10.7.2 includes bug fixes and enhanced performance and security (see separate story on the Lion Server 10.7.2 update.)
- Security Update 2011-006 for Snow Leopard and Snow Leopard Server
- iOS 5 for iPhone, iPad, and iPad touch. Apple says the update includes over 200 new features.
- Apple iOS apps: iWork: Pages, Numbers, Keynote updates, plus Remote app
- iTunes 10.5 for Mac OS X and Windows. This update is required to before the iOS 5 update can be installed, and is required for iTunes in iCloud. iTunes 10.5 also adds some features, including the ability to sync an iOS device with a Mac or PC over Wi-Fi.
- Safari 5.1.1. For Lion only, this update includes over a dozen improvements and bug fixes, including those releated to "performance, stability, usability, compatibility, accessibility and security." Also enables iCloud to store Safari bookmarks and the Safari reading list. Safari 5.1.1 is included in the Lion 10.7.2 update.
- iPhone Configuration Utility 3.4 for Windows and Mac OS X, which are used to create and track configuration profiles in enterprise environments.
- iPhoto 9.2 and Apeture 3.2. Mostly iCloud and iOS 5 compatibility, with some ?minor? bug fixes.
- Apple TV Software Update 4.4. In addition to supporting iCloud's photo stream for viewing photos uploaded from iOS devices, this update includes a half a dozen new features.
If any of these updates fixes, or fails to fix, problems that we'be been covering,